Over the last month, I've discovered what I presumed to be true. My child has dyslexia. My blog is dedicated to these wonderfully different learners. I marvel at their creativity, out of the box thinking and their infectious need for humor. This is a journey of our discovery process and our journey homeschooling with what works. I hope you will find encouragement along with helpful advice in teaching your right brain learner in this left brain world.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dysphonetic or Dyseidetic

There are three types of dyslexia; dysphonetic, dyseidetic or a combination of both. Here are some signs of each.

Dysphonetic
The terms 'dysphonetic' and 'dyseidetic' are words used to describe typical symptoms of dyslexia. The person labeled 'dysphonetic' has difficulty connecting sounds to symbols, and might have a hard time sounding out words, and spelling mistakes would show a very poor grasp of phonics. This is also sometimes called "auditory" dyslexia, because it relates to the way the person processes the sounds of language.

Dyseidetic
The 'dyseidetic' individual, on the other hand, generally has a good grasp of phonetic concepts, but great difficulty with whole word recognition and spelling. This type of dyslexia is also sometimes called "surface dyslexia" or "visual dyslexia."

This was taken from the www.dyslexia.com site.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,

    I'm following you, hope you will follow us back. This is great that you are doing this, you will be able to help someone out there:)
    Blessings,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just found your blog. I have recently diagnosed my 6 year old daughter wtih dyslexia. She is very bright but after 18 months of sounding out words, I knew something wasn't working for her. We ordered the Barton reading system too. I have done one lesson with her yesterday. I will be interested to hear how you go with your son so we can compare notes! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen. How is it going with Barton? We finished up level 1 and are starting level 2 tomorrow. I'm so excited. I would love to hear how it is going for you.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete